I really despise the Grammy Awards. Its not that I hate the concept of awarding albums and songs which had overstepped boundaries in music, but I hate the fact that none of the songs which do this are ever winners. The only thing celebrated in the Grammy’s is which song was most popular, not necessarily showing the best instrumental and vocal talents. Just which ones arbitrarily got people’s attention. And by “arbitrarily,” I really mean which artist had given the most money to give their albums publicity.
The deadline is a joke too. For those unaware, any music released between Oct. 1 of 2015 and Sept. 31 2016 are allowed to be nominated. Why not just make it yearly, making any music released in 2016 viable for being nominated? Makes too much sense to me. And this problem really is prevalent this year. Lady Gaga, who would have been a sure-fire nominee over JB’s, “Purpose,” and maybe even Drake’s, “Views,” is not eligible until it is forgotten about much later this year. Some other albums, which would just about be sure-fire nominees for a Grammy, include Kid Cudi’s, “Passion, Pain, and Demon-Slayin'” and Childish Gambino’s “‘Awaken My Love!'” Both these albums will not be nominated next year due to irrelevance and its a shame because both were excellent.
Here are some legal notable misses in my mind (Dates from Wikipedia. Yes people say it might be inaccurate, but when is it really?):
- Avicii for album, “Stories” (Oct 2 2015)
- Rachel Platten’s, “Wildfire” for song “Fight Song” (Jan 1 2016)
- Charlie Puth’s, “Nine Track Mind” for song “We Don’t Talk Anymore” (Jan 29 2016)
- Kevin Gates for album, “Islah” (Jan 29 2016)
- Santigold’s, “99 Cents” for song, “Can’t Get Enough of Myself” (Feb 26 2016)
- Miike Snow for album, “iii” (Mar 4 2016)
- Deftones for album, “Gore” (Apr 8 2016)
- Fitz and the Tantrums for album, “Fitz and the Tantrums” (June 10 2016)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers for album, ” The Getaway” (June 17 2016)
- Cash Cash for album, “Blood, Sweat, & 3 Years” (June 24 2016)
- Nao for Best New Artist
- ZHU for album, “Generationwhy” (July 29 2016)
- DJ Snake for album, “Encore” (Aug 5 2016)
A few personal favorites that would realistically have no shot include newest albums by The Dear Hunter, What So Not, and Thao and the Get Down Stay Down. And yes I am well aware that this list is huge. That does not mean that I believe that any of the actual nominees are undeserving. I just wish that more lower honors, but still awards, were given out to bands that produce music that may not have been as mainstream but was still impactful and original enough to be praised in some other way.
I don’t plan on making this a prediction post, because a lot of the genres I am ignorant to. I am almost certain that I missed a few albums of other genres that I pay little mind to in my list, for example. I will say that 25 or Lemonade should win album of the year and Hello should win song and record. Best soundtrack should be the Suicide Squad soundtrack. Best Rock Song should be My Name is Human (in part because its the only rock song on the list). Best Rock album should be Magma by Gojira. And that’s all I could give input to. Have fun watching the Grammy’s if you plan to.
Thanks for reading. Song
Picture from Pexels